Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yikes!

Not all of you are aware of this phobia of mine, but I'm EXTREMELY afraid of bees! Terrified actually. Wasps put me over the edge!

Here's one example how much: When I was in college, I was in the middle of a volleyball tournament. I played for a small NAIA school but still, college ball is surrounded by pressure no matter what level you play. Anyway, I was the setter and in the back row, the other team was serving. In this situation, I can't move up to the net until the opposing server touches the ball, after the ref blows the whistle. So I'm standing back, waiting; thinking of the play I just called and running through the different scenarios in my head when I spot it.

A slow moving, humongous wasp, coming my way. I freaked! I ran around the girl in front of me and then circled the floor as the wasp was gunning for me. My coach, a very tall intimidating woman (who didn't see the bee and had no idea what I was doing), chucked her clip board at me - screaming all the while because we lost a point and it was a very close game (Dean, think back to Troy and his shoe). I knew she was going to make me puke with suicides later, but I didn't care! All I wanted was to get the heck away from that wasp bigger than my fist!

I'm this much of a wimp when it comes to these flying insects!

So, you can imagine my horror when Conor discovered this outside our family room window:


As I took the above picture, these squatters started banging themselves against the glass!

Needless to say, I called an exterminator immediately because I wasn't doing this chore and due to the height, neither was Mike.

Turns out this is a hornets nest. Apparently, they're meaner than a wasp and our deck was in their flight path. Critter Control man came and sprayed the crapola out of them.

$130 later, the nest was gone. Worth every penny!

0 comments: