Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mike's Boo Boo

Two weeks ago today, Mike and his good buddy, Dean, decided to hike up the incline and run down bar trail (click on this link for a description: http://www.inclineclub.com/incline/). All fun and games until Mike took a digger on the run down. He can make a guest entry as to the actual happenings of this event later. All I know is that it was a nasty cut. And he was really fortunate to have a great friend to look after him (thank you Dean).

Mike spent 4 hours in the ER that day, and a good hour of it was the nurse cleaning the wound. R E A L L Y cleaning it - I'm talking pulling back the thick skin and exposing fat tissue and MEAT. It was truly disgusting! Thank goodness she flirted with him a bit or I think the man would have passed out.

Then the doc sent him on his way WITHOUT any stitches! Supposedly, he wanted to ensure an infection wouldn't be sutured in. The doc said "come back in four days and clean it daily in the meantime". What? Clean it daily? Are you kidding? I'm not touching that thing!

You can't see it here, but right below the gash, a chunk of Mike's skin could be completely folded back:


Don't get me wrong - we went through a lot taking care of Conor's shunt (a.k.a "The Portal To His Heart!"). But this was different - this was the inside of Mike's knee... like what you'd see cutting through a raw, fatty piece of Chuck Beef! Kristen, I know I'm being a baby here, but honestly, I shouldn't be exposed to that unless I'm trained. "Keep it wrapped!" was my motto during the week.

However, I bit the bullet and cleaned that mess... daily, for four long days until he got his stitches. Mike made it through too. He was brave like Conor, in more ways than one because he had to listen to my motto.... daily.


Anyway, yesterday Mike got his stitches out. Hopefully, his wound will heal quickly so he can go running down bar trail with his buddy Dean again.


I hope you feel better soon gimpy. I love you!

0 comments: