I was working on a calender activity with this 2nd grade class I was subbing for today. The example month was July (I know, I had the same question) and there were different shapes the instructions required for different days. On the 4th of July, the students were to draw a star over the date. Simple enough.
Little Johann raised his hand and said exactly this, "Can I put an unhappy face on the 4th of July, I'm from Canada?!"
What???
The whole class sat quietly, waiting. In my head, I was thinking of the different ways I'm supposed to respond "as a school employee" vs. what I wanted to say as a parent and an AMERICAN. Plus, I honestly didn't get it, Canada? wtf? What are your parents teaching you at home?
So, I winged it and I said "Johann, you're in America and in America we celebrate the 4th of July and it's a happy day for us, plus the instructions say to put a star on that date, so just follow the instructions."
What do you think, was my response ok? I know there is a fine line these days of "political correctness". Take my poll and tell me what you would have done if in my shoes. I'll consider it for future American holiday sub-teacher scenarios.
Poll Results:
The majority of people that voted said Johann and his family can go back to Canada if they want to put an unhappy face on the 4th of July...
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Little Johnny Johann
Posted by Kristi at 5:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I'm afraid I would have tossed the PC out the window with this one.
At least send a note home with him in his backpack. Better yet, a printout of a trip in Google Maps. One leads from your school back up to Toronto.
Meant to say 'One that leads'. But you knew that. Here's an example map http://xrl.us/ouf5y
Johnny, your thinking what I wish I could do... and I loved your map! You're hilarious!!!!
Post a Comment